CrossFit is a fitness company founded by Greg Glassman and Lauren Jenai that combines a wide variety of functional movements or high-intensity interval training incorporated and given the nature of competitiveness by a timed or scored workout.
To put it simply, this is a program designed for high intensity performance to succeed in attaining overall physical fitness. Here’s how it works…
Benefits Of CrossFit Training
- Bests suited for busy individuals due to the minimal time commitment required in comparison to traditional endurance training.
- Significant decrease in body fat after 10 week CrossFit-based high intensity power training (HIPT) paired with the right diet.
- Increases oxygen consumption, which helps in sustaining muscle contraction required during endurance exercise.
- It brings together all types of people to improve physical well-being and cardiovascular fitness.
- Brings out your competitive nature and desire to excel.
Unlock the language of CrossFit:
- Box: Your Box is your CrossFit gym
- AMRAP: As Many Rounds As Possible
- Metcon: Metabolic conditioning
- Ass to Grass/Ground: Get low as possible when doing front, back or air squats.
- PR’d: When a personal record on a lift is achieved
- HIPT: High intensity power training
The CrossFit WOD (Workout of the Day)
Many have asked, “Why are the workouts named after Girls?” Coach Glassman, the founder and President of CrossFit explained it best. “I want to explain the workout once and then give it a name. I thought that anything that left you flat on your back, looking up at the sky asking ‘what just happened to me?’ deserved a females name. Workouts are just like storms, they wreak havoc on towns.”
Infographics courtesy of http://www.eastdallascrossfit.com/
Before joining CrossFit…
- Start conditioning yourself – go for a walk and push yourself further or start dancing until you drop at home. Sweat it out and get moving!
- Arrange for trial, this way you can better gauge the regimen.
- For beginners, ask or inquire if foundation programs are available, talk to the professionals. This is to teach beginners the basic motions and forms of the WOD’s. You don’t want to slow down the class or injure yourself, it is advisable that you are already competent in executing the workout.
- Determine what you want to achieve and commit to your goal.
- Pair your CrossFit program with a healthy diet that follows a nutrition guide.
- Be ready for unforeseen challenges physically and mentally.
Joining a CrossFit community is an adventurous journey to a better and healthier body, optimizing performance and the goal of developing overall strength. This is a program that is more than just physical conditioning and strengthening, this structure of high-intensity interval training and nutrition is not to be taken lightly.