Withania somnifera, or most commonly known as Ashwagandha is described in Ayurvedic medicine as a powerful rejuvenating herb, adding to life longevity. Commonly used in India, Middle East and some parts of North Africa for more than 2000 years, Ashwagandha’s benefits include immune system support, anti-inflammatory, memory enhancement, sexual enhancement, fatigue resistance, and stress reduction.
Traditional use is to boil the roots in water and drink the tea 2-3 times daily in a span of 2 to 3 weeks to feel the effect. Nowadays the roots are made available in highly concentrated, powdered form commonly taken as a daily supplement. In this article, you’ll learn about the general health benefits of Ashwagandha, as well as the new expanding field of athletic benefits.
General Health Benefits
- Immune System Support
- Increases memory
- May help normalize high blood sugar and improve insulin sensitivity
- Sexual enhancing for both men and women
- Reduces Adrenal Fatigue
- Calming herb for therapeutic sleep
- Improves skin and body tissue and building and repair because of its inbuilt amino acid profile that increases glutathione production within the body.
- Other parts of the plant are used to kill lice, and in making soap
More clinical studies and researches are still conducted from around the world on Ashwagandha, the beneficial remedies of this Ayurvedic herb against notorious illnesses and diseases as a result of our modern lifestyle has expanded with the use of modern science. Also known as an adaptogen – it has the ability to increase the body’s resistance to stress, anxiety and fatigue by balancing its functions. Learn more about its Ayurvedic properties here.
Sports Nutrition Benefits**
Athletes can opt for a more natural approach to enhancing their performance with Ashwagandha. Scientific research suggests that ashwagandha promotes better health, well being and greater levels of physical performance. Ashwagandha enhances the user’s ability to cope with stressful situations by promoting faster corticosteroid release and rapid return to normal.
- It helps improve the rate of recovery following strenuous exercise
- It enhances energy and endurance
- It assists muscle recovery
- It may improve mental function, alertness and memory
- It may improve oxygen usage
- It enhances the capacity to cope with physical and mental stresses
Daily Nutra™ only uses KSM-66 Ashwagandha, from the most advanced facility from seed to extraction to its production quality and upholding the “Green Chemistry” principle during the course of every production stage.
Additionally, the list of Ashwagandha side effects is negligible. Pregnant and lactating women should not take this herb and it should not be combined with sedative drugs.
Although the plant is easy to grow, it is important that the root powder is free of metal or any contamination from the soil. Contamination level is, of course elevated if the plant grew in highly polluted areas. When looking for Ashwagandha supplements it is important that only high grade Ashwagandha roots from the best geographic location are sourced.
Disclaimer: Despite the references provided, the information on this site is intended for educational purposes only. It is not meant to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, circumstances or adverse effects. Please refer for advise and treatment by a licensed physician. Some traditional uses and components of the herbs may bot be approved and validated by the proper Authorities, always refer with your health care provider.
- Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research Vol. 4, Suppl 1, 2011 ISSN – 0974-2441